This will help some because I wanted to do the same. Smash out a loop, keep it looping while I create a variation. Build a verse, play it meanwhile work on a chorus or middle 8 and drop it in the right place. Similar to how I would use a loop pedal.
Follow these instruction to workaround your issue.
- Drop Impact Xt on to an empty channel.
- Press "ctrl+shift+p" to drop a pattern.
- Hit f2 to open the edit window.
- Look for an icon labelled [ I ] and click it to open the editor inspector.
- You should see three tabs (Patterns, Store and Load). Below this you should see your variations listed.
- There will be two options above the variations which have check boxes - one labelled "audition Notes" and the other labelled "editor follows cursor".
- Uncheck the editor follows Cursor option.
Now you should be able to build your loops and patterns while the others are playing back.
I agree with your sentiment - you should be able to build loops easily while others are playing out. I have made a feature request to get this function added as a hot key.
Perhaps you could up vote this feature request that I have posted recently. I would be grateful if you did because it would help let Presonus know that there are many of us who want this feature.