The FP8 already had 2.02 Firmware on it.
I updated it on the same machine (my Studio One Workstation) from 1.01 -> 2.02 last year without any problem, UC was 2.1 then I think.
After the failed attempts it was not upgraded, still had 2.02 even after several failed but according to the UC seemingly successful updates.
Same results after reset to FW 1.0.1 via setup.
Finally I could solve the problem :
- installed Universal Control v126.96.36.199214 on another PC, that didn't have anything Presonus on it.
The machine is nearly identical to the above one (both Lenovo E31 XEON 1230v2 / 1240v2 workstations)
- factory reset of the FP8 to FW 1.0.1 via setup (ch1 + 2 on power on)
- FP8 connected to of the front USB 2.0 ports of the machine -> update failed (I think it's because the front bezel is in fact a USB Hub)
- FP8 connected to one of the mainboard (backside) USB 2.0 ports -> update was successful
As mentioned above I couldn't update my Faderport Classic either.
On the new machine it worked too. Same procedure
- factory reset by unplugging USB, holding down 'rewind' - 'stop' - 'record' buttons at the same time, plug in USB and wait 5 seconds, then powercycle again by unplug / plug in USB
- make sure to use a direct USB 2.0 port on the mainboard and the update succeeded.
On my Studio One workstation FP8 & FP Classic were always connected to direct USB 2.0 ports.
The problem seems to have to do with different older UC versions and the new UC 3.xx on the same machine.
I'm using different interfaces with the same machine, Firestudio 26x26 wth UC 1.2.2715, Firestudio Tube & StudioLive 16-4-2 with their UC 1.7.6, UC 3.1 for the FPs and some other hardware drivers.
Maybe the 3.1 doesn't go along with one of the others for firmware updates. Everything else works great.
Thank You for Your interest and support.
@Raffael Schmalzl: maybe this helps a little to solve Your problem too. Good luck!