Questions & Answers

How to fix 12-13 minute save times with large projects?

+5 votes
592 views
asked Mar 22, 2017 in Studio One 3 by tapanisiirtola (1,230 points)
I think transforming VI tracks to audio is absolutely brilliant feature in Studio One, but after I transformed my orchestra cue into audio the save times increased into something ridiculous. I measured that every save takes around 12 minutes 49 seconds. There must be a lot of data kept when I have the option to return to virtual instruments, but still - I think these kind of downtimes are too much.

My orchestra template has little bit over 110 tracks. I had Vienna Ensemble Pro 6 instances strings and percussion in my main daw, and brass / woodwinds on my slave pc. I have a Studio One project folder on a seperate 3Tb 7200 RPM hard drive. OS and Studio One are installed on a SSD.

Once I started building the template, the save times slowly started to get longer and longer. However when I worked in midi, save times were still quite reasonable, although without backround saving, a bit annoying - around 0:30 - 1 minute.

When I finished the song, I shift-selected all the tracks to transform to audio. I tried what happens if I transform an empty midi track, but Studio One didn't do nothing (meaning not rendering any empty files), so I went ahead and selected all tracks and Studio One only rendered the midi tracks that had data in them. Of course there isn't data on all 110+ tracks, but I would guess I had around 40 tracks of rendered audio by the end of the process.

My settings in the transform instrument track were: all selected except render inserts. I had audio tail of max length 8 sec.

After this process the save times went off the roof. I checked the file sizes today and before the project file was around 163Mb, after transforming project file it is 1.4 Gb. Is this normal?

Currently I don't have any plugins activated and CPU load is really low. Project is running stable but the save times are a big problem. Any ideas what to do here?

Main DAW; i7 990X 6-core 3,46Ghz, 24Gb of DDR3 Ram, RME HDSP 9652, Windows 10, Latest version of Studio One, Vienna Ensemble Pro 6, additional PC slave (i7 6700K 4Ghz, 64 Gb RAM).

1 Answer

0 votes
answered Apr 10, 2017 by brianmeisner1 (193,360 points)
 
Best answer
Thanks for all of your patience on this issue.  You will want to take a look at the support ticket that was responded to.  Presonus is working at improving the save times for files that take longer in special situations.  One possible workaround to this issue would be to de-couple Vienna from your song in Studio One while you are working on it, and then re-couple with VE once you have finished.  This will let Studio One save all of the necessary information from the slave computer once you have finished.
...