Some users may experience some difficulties, such as loss of connection or drop outs, when using the default FireWire driver in Windows 7. In order to resolve this, you may need to switch to the "Legacy" driver that Microsoft provides.
Installing the Legacy FireWire driver:
1. Power off your PreSonus FireStudio interface or StudioLive mixer.
2. Find your FireWire (IEEE 1394) controller in Device Manager (go to Start > Control Panel > System > Device Manager).
3. Open the IEEE 1394 Bus Host Controllers group.
4. Right-click on your FireWire controller and choose "Update driver Software..."
5. Use the "Browse my computer..." option.
6. Choose the "Let me Pick from a List" option.
6. Select the "Choose from a list" option. Select the "1394 OHCI Compliant Host Controller (Legacy)" driver and click "Next".
The device driver should now be properly installed. Note that on Windows 8 machines, the Texas Instruments controller
should properly function on the OS and the Legacy driver is no longer an option.