I am wanting to upgrade from my Komplete Audio box to a better recording setup for my home studio. I was going to get an audio interface from the company that makes red ones but then though surely there must be a small mixer that could work with Reaper as my DAW but give me a control surface and extra outboard options.
I do have a faderport which is great but wanted to look at a desk. Research has lead me to the AR series.SO I have some questions.
Would an AR unit work for me considering these factors:
- Drums are recorded from an ekit via midi and trigger EZdrummer so wouldn't use the desk but could I still route these channels (or at least the drum bus) back out to the desk?
- I have a keyboard that I used to trigger VST piano and synths also via midi cable so the same question as above would apply
- Could any other VST instruments or totally in the box tracks be router via the desk?
- I reaper would I see all of the desk inputs listed as available inputs like I do now for my two inputs on the Komplete box?
- Can I route audio back to Reaper from the desk?
- Can I apply analog effects from the desk to audio as it passes through the desk back to Reaper?
- Is there a way to setup an "Announce" mic channel/function that I can use to all folk who are wearing headphones and in different rooms?
- Can I use the sliders to record automation such as volume/pan via Reaper?
- Will the software bundle work with any DAW or only Studio 1
So essentially rather than buy an interface and a control surface I am thinking of a desk but need to know that it will wokr with my DAW in a hybrid setup. I am aware that the sliders are not motorised so won't move with the settings in the DAW channels. I can live with this.
Appreciate any wisdom.