Questions & Answers

Melodyne hangs on load after saving to new folder

+1 vote
83 views
asked Jun 23, 2018 in Studio One 4 by erichaarbauer (220 points)

I have a song with a long history that includes many Melodyne edits. My ultimate goal is to get an archive of the song in its final state, with only the audio necessary to render the final mix; I don't need the history or the audio files it references. To accomplish this, I used the Save to New Folder function. This produced a song folder less than 1/10th the size of the original. (~700MB vs. ~11GB)

When I try to open the song from the new folder, it hangs with a Melodyne progress bar at 3%. I've let it stay there for 15 minutes and it never progresses. I see essentially no CPU usage during this time.

Based on another question here, I tried deleting the Cache folder and temporarily disabling the ARA plugin. With the ARA plugin disabled, I can open the song from the new directory; however, the Melodyne edits are gone. If I re-enable the ARA plugin after this, it still hangs at the Melodyne progress bar.

The song in the original directory still opens as normal, and the Melodyne edits are still there.

What should I do? Thanks!

2 Answers

0 votes
answered Aug 8, 2018 by erichaarbauer (220 points)
I wound up raising this as a support ticket with PreSonus. They replied (quickly!) that the solution was to render all the Event FX instances with Melodyne in the original song. That worked like a charm, and I was able to save the song to a new folder and open it normally. I confirmed that I was able to restore the rendered events in the new song and get access to the Melodyne edits again.

Apparently it's a best practice to render Melodyne events when editing is done. If I understood correctly, Melodyne works differently from other Event FX, and rendering avoids several potential pitfalls including the one I encountered.
0 votes
answered Dec 20, 2018 by Danno51 (140 points)
I'm using 3.5.6.  in windows 7 professional. Similar situation, but I'd recorded new tracks to the version saved in a new folder, so going back was not an option. But next day, I could not get the song reopen. It  hung endlessly on melodyne.  Finally I went into Song Setup ( in Studio One) /audio I/O setup. Options/ Advanced/ (click past the "I'll be careful" prompt) and this will give you the option to disable ARA. Disabling this allowed me to finally open the song file again.   I've seen in other posts that shutting off the ARA is done in the windows control center but not in my set up. It's done right in Studio one. It saved my butt... hope this helps someone else!
...