Presonus, I am here to tell you that you really need to improve your shortcuts system.
There are missing shortcuts (some actions can only be done by clicking with the mouse cursor) and some misleading names. It's not the first time I see Gregor or Joe talk about how some shortcuts are misleading or that they don't know what those shortcuts do, because yes, some shortcuts don't do anything sometimes.
So I'm here to ask you to double check ALL your shortcuts and Macros. Possibly adding information about what each of them does (Psst, you have the description notes to help your users understand each Macro, use it, cause you left it empty!) and maybe a search bar for the Macros as well (or an alphabetical sorting system).
- Remove Bend Markers (this shortcut removes ALL bend markers, without the possibility to remove just ONE bend marker)
Please add a shortcut to remove just one bend marker, so we can use the workflow suggested by Gregor properly. We might be able to to TAB (Next Transient) / Shift+TAB (previous transient), then insert a bend marker and remove a single bend marker, all without the need of the mouse. Undo is a workaround but NOT IDEAL since it just rewinds what you have done, without the possibility to target a specific bend marker and remove it.
- Show/Hide bend markers (eye icon in the audio bend menu): Missing a shortcut for this action. A toggle would be great.
- Input Gain controls (the input knob above the phase inversion icons): Missing a shortcut for this action. It will be useful to create a track with a specific gain input and create better macros. Possibly with the argument to choose a specific value for the input gain. Without this I have to manually open the input controls everytime, and set an input gain with my mouse. NOT ideal.
- Audio/Midi Track Templates: Incredibly useful. You have default presets for everything, but not for audio and midi tracks. Let's add this! With the input gain control shortcut mentioned earlier, I will be able to create a default audio/midi track with a -6db input gain (or any other value) for headroom.
This is incredibly useful! We won't need to add a mixtool in the insert chain just to reduce the input gain.
- Next/Previous hotspot and Focus Next confusing behavior
- Next/Previous hotspot and Focus Next/Previous are not useful when analyzing an audio file and making S1 create some bend markers, BECAUSE:
Even with these 4 shortcuts, you can only move from transient to transient and not from bend marker to bend marker. There is no shortcut for this action. If S1 places some bend markers after the transient, you won't be able to move from each bend marker to bend marker, but instead you will only move from transient to transient. This way you will have to use the mouse to search and select a specific bend marker. NOT ideal again.
I am willing to provide more help and suggestions, but I am sure that many users have other complaints about shortcuts.
If they don't, it's probably because they haven't explored the list properly. I did, from start to finish, and there are many problems in there.
Everytime it seems like Presonus is SO close to achieving great results, but each and everytime there are obstacles on the way to make you waste time and just confuse you.
So please, Presonus: if you need help setting up shortcuts, there's nothing bad in asking for suggestions. There are producers and musicians with years of experience who can help make this DAW much better than what it is now, and it really requires something simple as fixing shortcuts to already make a significant improvement.