Questions & Answers

Studio One - track automation (volume) sometimes stops/starts working during loop playback

+2 votes
asked Aug 18, 2017 in Studio One 3 by gfurlow (510 points)
Playing back mix of recorded audio, loops and one midi track.  In loop mode.  Tracks plays fine the first time through.  Then loops...  a random selection of tracks play, some seem to mute, others just ignore the automation track... or plays the whole track no matter what the automation (both volume, mute and pan) is set at.  Tracks which are manually muted (red button) don't seem to be effected.

If I stop the playback (space bar) then hit it again it seems to correct most tracks and play correctly.  

If I let it play to the end of the loop and restart automatically, again I may get a random mix of tracks... or sometimes it plays fine.

MBP, Sierra 10.12.6, 16 Gbs RAM, Studio One 3.5.1,  Faderport 8 all tracks in Read.

3 Answers

0 votes
answered Aug 21, 2017 by PreSonuSupt4 (220,910 points)
Best answer
1.  Go to Help>Open Settings folder.

2.  Copy the contents of the folder over to a folder on your desktop.

3.  Close S1 and delete the contents of the settings folder with the exception of the user.license file as well as the "Extensions" folder.

4.  Open S1 and go to Studio One>Options (Preferences on a Mac) to reconfigure your settings.

5.  Test to see if the problem is resolved.  If it is not, please feel free to copy your settings files back over from the backup that you created in step 2.  

*If you are missing presets or Sound Sets after doing this, simply double-click one of your Sound Sets under Documents>Studio One>Sound Sets.


If that doesn't help, please submit a support ticket so that a representative can assist you.
+2 votes
answered Nov 20, 2017 by jamesmaxwell (950 points)
This doesn't actually solve the problem in my case. I have volume automation on two adjacent tracks. If I play back several times, consecutively (not necessarily using loop) it will sometimes play both automation changes, and sometimes only one or the other. In general, I've noticed that these problems start to appear gradually in larger projects (i.e., > 15 minute tracks).

This is super frustrating and very strange from a professional DAW...
+2 votes
answered Dec 28, 2018 by Shrike (180 points)
This is a permanent fix, but I had to give up an external device, at least temporarily.

If you're using a Presonus Faderport external device, unplug it. Try listening to your tracks with volume automation again. For me, simply unplugging the Faderport device eliminated the problem altogether.

This all took place in the last two weeks of finishing my latest album and it was critical that I find a solution, so I was trying everything I could think of, as time was a critical issue. I hope that there are at least a few of you who will benefit from this info. I've no idea why the Faderport was the issue, but I'll be digging into that soon.

Hope this helps, good luck!