Questions & Answers

Suddenly no audio playback

+4 votes
384 views
asked Mar 4 in Studio One 4 by robertwarren1 (380 points)

Hi Guys,
I recently had the following problem in Studio One 4.6.1: The audio playback suddenly stops in some tracks. The cursor continues to run. After stopping and starting again, a sound comes briefly, but then it stops again. The tracks consist only of audio tracks and a few Studio One internal effects. No software synths or the like. Studio One also throws a "fatal exception" and writes crash dumps.
I usually work with a Motu 828 Mk3 hybrid audio interface. In order to test whether it is because of this, I tried to play the song with "Windows Audio". But here, too, the same problem: Suddenly no sound anymore, no signals in the mixer either. So I think it's not the audio interface. I have also installed all current drivers
What could be the problem? Need quick help because there are gigs on the weekend.
Thanks for help and best wishes

8 Answers

+2 votes
answered Mar 4 by circlemusicgroup (280 points)
I'm getting the same thing.
0 votes
answered Mar 6 by koenvermeiren (140 points)
Me too. It's like a kind of dropouts. The audio starts to stutter, and stops. The only thing you can do, is close the program. As far as I could see this has nothing to do with latency or CPU.
0 votes
answered Apr 3 by duncanmoore1 (140 points)
Yes. Same here. I have a very simple track with only two guitar parts. When you finish editing it makes a noise like a jumble of data processing then stops. It won't playback again until you re-start the program. It does however save the changes just made. Happens about twice an hour. I'm running it on a Mac Book Pro with a solid state hard drive, so no spooling issues etc.
+1 vote
answered Apr 7 by fabricemonlouis (290 points)
same problem...  the signals levels in the mixer stays up and frozen the playhead keep rolling but no sound...
0 votes
answered Apr 12 by williamparrish1 (140 points)
I am having the same problem and have had this for at least four months.  Very frustrating.  I save my work, close the program, re-start it, then I'm good to go for another twenty minutes when it'll happen again.
0 votes
answered Apr 20 by josephstedman (180 points)
edited Apr 20 by josephstedman

(this doesn't happen with earlier versions of studio one, Studio 1.3 works fine) Same issue. Seems kind of random though. Occasionally it works fine. The only thing I've found as a work around is to loop the section, set the end of the loop before the signal drops to less than -20db. It seems as though if the audio stays above that I can operate  normally. But as soon as I go below that -20db threshold it happens again and I have to save and restart studio one 4. I am running the artist + version on widows 10. I have contacted Presonus but as yet have had no contact from them. Have heard rumors it has some thing to do with window ransomware protection but seems to be happening on Apple computers as well.

0 votes
answered May 2 by one20ne (350 points)
I'm having the same problem and I have had this on and off for a few months now. I even thought it was because my computer was old but I just recently bought a new one and I get the same issue. I can hear and play and instrument connected to my interface (guitar focusrite 18i8) and then I record everything sounds good as I am recording but when I playback I get the first second of audio and the rest dropsout. Or it comes on and dropsout like the others are saying. This **** is super aggravating.
0 votes
answered May 14 by robertooksmandearago (180 points)
edited May 14 by robertooksmandearago
I just had the same issue here. Extremely annoying given the fact that I'm working on a project that need to be handed back today.

What seemed to solve it (for now at least; it's been five minutes that it's back working) was to delete session's cache folder.

I used the same plugins as I use every single time I'm editing the podcast that I work for. So it was really strange that for the first time in 8 months a crash dump was created out of the blue and sound began disappearing.

Hope this helps, and would love to hear from PreSonus as about this might happen!

EDIT: I forgot to tell that before deleting the cache folder for this session, I had just deleted all the .dmp files in the AppData folder (I don't know if that changes anything, though; but it is something I've done beforehand, nonetheless)
...