I recently downloaded Studio One v5 to replace v4. I've been recording on it pretty heavily the past two weeks but I keep having an issue where the software has an unpredictable lag when running. For example, I will be tracking and at random times the song will briefly stop and then resume recording, throwing the performance briefly out of time. There isn't any stop in the tracks or clipping, but it definitely has screwed up some solid takes. The files I've recorded also come out at the correct length, as in they aren't any longer than song despite the pause, it just omits some of the audio that was recorded.
This has happened at about the same rate recording a single channel or recording 16+ tracks. Some of the songs I've been working on have as few as 8 tracks but some have upwards of 30. It has also occurred just listening to playback while mixing. Sometimes the performance monitor spikes briefly when this happens but not every time, normally the performance is around 3% of my CPU. All of my projects are stored and worked on in my external drive. I've been trying to trouble shoot it but I've been unsuccessful thus far.
So far I have tried:
- Turning off all plug-ins
- Adjusting the device block size
- Turning off Autosave
- Updating all VSTs, firmware, etc
- Restarting the console and computer
- Running a memory clean up on the computer
- Clearing the cache in Studio One
- Adjusting the drop out protection
- Clearing up the hard drive on my computer to have 300 gb free
- Clearing my external drive to have almost a full TB free
Currently my set up is this:
- Studiolive 24 Console, up-to-date firm ware
- MacBook Pro 2013, 16 gb of Memory, 2.3 Ghz Quad Core Intel i7, on Catalina 10.15.5
- A Seagate FreeAgent GoFlex Desk 1TB Hard Drive from roughly 2011/2012
- An external Laptop fan to keep the temp down
- Studio One v5, current update
- A variety of Waves plug ins that have been updated through Waves Central
Normally I don't update the operating system but to accommodate Studio One 5 I had to update from Yosemite.
Not sure if there's anything I'm leaving out but I'm around to answer any questions, I'm really hoping to get to the bottom of this.
Thanks for your guidance in advance.